9 December 2016

"New Beginnings" with PANTONE's Color of the Year


What is the point of Pantone's Color of the Year? I wondered that myself until I read on their website: "A symbolic color selection; a color snapshot of what we see taking place in our global culture that serves as an expression of a mood and an attitude." However, this year the chosen color doesn't quite represent the world as it is now, but was selected as a means to influence the world, essentially saying — cheer up! If you don't believe me, here is a quote from Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of the Pantone Color Institute:

"Greenery bursts forth in 2017 to provide us with the reassurance we yearn for amid a tumultuous social and political environment. Satisfying our growing desire to rejuvenate and revitalize, Greenery symbolizes the reconnection we seek with nature, one another and a larger purpose."

Pantone is essentially saying, we know the world is kinda crazy right now, and it's left a lot of us steeped negativity. We are all desperate for 2016 to be over. So for 2017, let's focus on a rebirth. This warm yellow-green color called Greenery is meant to be fresh, zesty, hopeful, revitalizing. Pantone even calls it a "life-affirming shade."

I adore this shade, and I am all for this positive influence Pantone is reassuring us with. I can see why others might feel it to be too stark or jarring, but maybe that's because we're all still in the doom and gloom of 2016. Admittedly, green is my favorite color — not with quite this much yellow in it, but it does have that zesty, reviving and renewing personality. They've connected Greenery to nature, calling it "nature's neutral," and it encourages us to take a deep breath and connect to the lush foliage around us. So let's do that, shall we?

I can see this color being easily adaptable in product design and graphic art applications, but a little more difficult in beauty and fashion. I could never wear this shade as an eye shadow for instance, or even as a sweater, but I'm a neutrals kind of girl. But seeing it in nature? I'll take that!


Let's chat!